A man said to the universe: “Sir, I exist!” “However,” replied the universe, “The fact has not created in me A sense of obligation.” (Stephen Crane)
The cleaning lady at Lambeth Palace found a crumpled up paper under His Grace’s desk. It went like this:
FROM THE DESK OF THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY
My sisters and brothers in Christ,
I thought it important as we conclude this marvelous time together to issue a final “Call on the Anglican Communion.”
I write to wholeheartedly affirm:
- That the Anglican Communion first convened at Lambeth Palace in 1867.
- That the 1888 Lambeth Conference approved a Quadrilateral.
- That the 1920 Conference resolved that marriage is the unchangeable Christian standard.
- That the 1930 Conference resolved that I get to decide who is in and who is out.
- That the 1998 Conference passed a Resolution on Human Sexuality.
- That the 2008 Conference had vigorous indaba.
- That the 2022 Conference met and…