About This Site
Stephen’s Witness gathers articles that I have written dating back more than two decades and coming up to the present, addressing a variety of topics, which I hope will be of interest, engagement, and comfort to Anglicans and others.
I am an advocate for Anglicanism, the historic witness of Christian faith which took its distinctive form at the English Reformation and which has now spread worldwide. Over the past quarter century, there has been a struggle for the soul of Anglicanism worldwide between the secularized West and the Global South.
- Under Contending Anglican, you will find postings about the current theological and political struggles for the identity of the Anglican Communion.
- Under Gafcon, you will find articles concerning the movement of Global Anglicans that took form at the Global Anglican Future Conferences in 2008, 2013, and 2018.
- Under TEC/ACNA, you will find articles describing the realignment of North American Anglicanism in particular, The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church in North America.
- Under Africa, you will find articles and addresses I gave as Vice Chancellor (President) of Uganda Christian University and consultant to Gafcon.
Theology is reflection on “the Gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son”(Rom 1:1-3). “The Bible is to be translated, read, preached, taught and obeyed in its plain and canonical sense, respectful of the church’s historic and consensual reading” (Jerusalem Declaration).
- Under Bible, you will find articles about biblical interpretation (hermeneutics) and biblical theology, as well as exposition of particular texts of Scripture.
- Under Church, you will find articles about the nature of the church (ecclesiology).
- Under Theology, you will find discussions of general issues in ethics and moral theology.
- Under Angels, a special section on the oft-neglected biblical teaching on angels, Satan and demons, and principalities and powers.
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Sexuality, marriage and family are central to biblical teaching but have become counter-cultural in Western society today and also in the church. I have sought to defend God’s design of “two sexes, one flesh” among North American Anglicans and have also helped prepare a new liturgy of Holy Matrimony in the ACNA Book of Common Prayer 2019.
- Under Wed Talks, you will find a series of 24 short MP3 podcasts on holy matrimony as found in the new ACNA Prayer Book service, along with supplemental material about marriage.
- Under Sexuality, you will find biblical and ethical pieces on what it means to live out one’s identity as “man in the image of God, male and female.”
- Under Family you will find discussion of God’s purposes for the Christian family and contemporary challenges to it.
- Under Single Life you will consider the nature of the dedicated single life and recognize those who have given their all to serve Christ.
PASTORAL AND DEVOTIONAL
“Go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them … and teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you” (Matt 28:18ff.). As an Anglican priest, educator and missionary, I have gathered here various pastoral, liturgical and missional writings for upbuilding the Church.
- Under Sermons, you will find a few select sermons on various texts and topics.
- Under Liturgy, you will find in particular some discussions of Prayer Book doctrine, discipline and worship.
- Under Mission, you will find pieces related to Christ’s Great Commission and specific examples of Anglican missionaries.
- Under Devotions, you will find some meditations, with special focus on George Herbert, my model as priest and poet.
“Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days”(Job 12:12). This miscellany is an eclectic and personal collection of experiences and comment on matters of culture and politics, including book and movie reviews.
- Under Culture, you will find observations on contemporary culture and politics from a Christian perspective.
- Under Movies, you will find reviews of my favorite or notable films.
- Under Books, you will find reviews of books, old and new, that I have found valuable.
- Under Anecdotage, you will find some personal memories and experiences that may be of interest.